BEAR MANAGER - CHENGDU BEAR RESCUE CENTRE
Recent restructuring of our team has created an exciting new role for the right person. Highly motivated, experienced, and dedicated animal professional is required to work with rescued Asiatic black bears at our Chengdu Bear Rescue Centre in Sichuan Province, China.
The position holder will work as part of our Bear & Vet Team responsible for overseeing teams of local bear care staff involved in the daily husbandry and management of the bears housed within the rescue centre. The Bear Manager is the direct report to two Assistant Bear Managers. The position also involves working closely with Bear Team Supervisors and liaising with the resident veterinary team to manage various daily operations. The Bear Manager will report directly to the Bear & Vet Team Director.
Due to Chinese visa requirements, a university degree in a relevant field and proven practical experience of 3 to 5 years are essential for this position.
- Co-coordinating various daily operations:
- Animal care and management;
- Maintenance and adjustment of existing enrichment programs;
- Ordering animal food and other stock as required;
- Supervising volunteers;
- Maintaining bear behavior records & databases.
- Preparing short reports for social media, supporters, or other recipients as required.
- Operant conditioning and formal bear training programmes for a variety of medical, behavioural and management requirements.
- Human resources:
- Staff evaluations;
- Ensuring morale is maintained within bear care staff;
- Identifying and addressing HR issues with the Bear & Vet Team Director as they arise.
- University degree in zoology, biology, conservation, animal behaviour or related field
- Three to five years work experience in a captive wild animal facility or similar working environment
- Computer literacy, including Excel
- Strong management skills and the ability to work in a team or independently
- Fluent in English language
- A good sense of humor, excellent communication skills, and the ability to live and work closely with the rest of the team comprising both western and local staff.
- Patience and willingness to work within a different culture are essential
Suitable candidates must be able to commit for a minimum of 2 years.
Appointment is paid, full-time, five (5) days a week with some weekend work applicable.
The following items are included in your full-time contract
Emergency medical insurance
How to apply
Interested parties please forward your cover letter (stating the applied position), CV with your and completed Job Application form to: email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information please visit our website www.animalsasia.org
Closing date: 14th November 2014
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Personal data collected will be treated in strict confidence and used solely for recruitment purposes.