International opposition to bear bile farming soars
04 March 2014
The numbers of people opposing bear bile farming in China and internationally is rising at breakneck speed.
- 96,000 signed a petition addressed to the Chinese Ambassador to the US thanking his government’s support for Animals Asia and pressing for an end to bear bile farming. (sign here)
- 90,000 people signed a similar petition in just one week after its launch – addressed to the Chinese ambassador to the UK. (sign here)
- 100 Chinese student and scholar associations, representing thousands of Chinese students who attend some of the most prestigious universities across the world, have signed a pledge to support Animals Asia and assist in working towards ending bear bile farming while pledging never to use bear bile products
- 59,000 supporters across the world stood shoulder to shoulder with Chinese activists – pledging never to use bile products. (sign here)
- 1,000,000,000 (one billion!) – our research says Animals Asia enjoys 87% support in China to end bear bile farming. That’s over one billion people.
The huge response to the petitions reflects the growth in awareness of the bear bile industry. Images of bears in tiny cages on bear bile farms have been shared using social media and the response via petitions has been overwhelming.
Animals Asia founder and CEO, Jill Robinson MBE said:
“This is 100 per cent down to our supporters pushing and pushing for an end to bear bile farming. It is an issue that once you know about - it doesn’t leave you. We need to end bear bile farming and it’s incredible to know that our dedication to this is mirrored by millions across the world.
“Our message is don’t give up, because we won’t. Keep sharing news, keep supporting change and cheering on supporters wherever they may be. Progress is coming thick and fast and we can’t thank you enough. We can end bear bile farming by standing beside the majority in China calling for change.”
Randy Paynter, Founder and President of petition host Care2 said:
“Care2 is proud to be partnering with Animals Asia. Their petitions on bear bile farming have garnered more than 260,000 signatures from Care2 members worldwide who want to see an end to this cruel and unnecessary practice. Together, in partnership with Animals Asia, we will help stop this cruelty."