BEAR MANAGER - CHINA BEAR RESCUE CENTRE
Highly motivated, experienced, and dedicated animal professional is required to work with rescued Asiatic black bears at our China Bear Rescue Centre near Chengdu, Sichuan Province, China.
The position holder will work as part of a team of Bear Managers responsible for overseeing teams of local bear keeping staff involved in the daily care and management of the bears housed within the rescue centre. It will also involve working closely with Bear Team Supervisors and liaising with the resident veterinary team to manage various daily operations. The Bear Manager will report directly to the Bear and Vet Team Director.
Both formal qualifications and proven practical experience are essential for this position.
- Co-coordinating various daily operations:
- Animal care and management
- Maintenance and adjustment of existing enrichment programe
- Ordering animal food and other stock as required
- Supervising volunteers
- Maintaining bear behavior records and databases
- Preparing short reports for social media, supporters, or other recipients as required.
- Operant conditioning and formal bear training programmes for a variety of medical, behavioural and management requirements.
- University degree in zoology, biology, conservation, animal behaviour or related field.
- Three to five years work experience in a captive wild animal facility or similar working environment.
- Computer literacy, including Excel.
- Strong management skills and the ability to work in a team or independently.
- Fluent in English language.
- A good sense of humor, excellent communication skills and the ability to live and work closely with the rest of the team comprising both western and local staff.
- Patience and willingness to work within a different culture are essential.
- Suitable candidates must be able to commit for a minimum of 2 years.
Appointment is paid, full-time, 5 days a week with some weekend work applicable.
The following items are included in your full-time contract
Emergency medical insurance
How to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Closing date for application is 28 February 2014.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Personal data collected will be treated in strict confidence and used solely for recruitment purposes.