years ago this April, Jill Robinson first walked onto a bear bile farm. On that day in April 1993, Jill could have walked away, but she chose to act and do what she could. Today, you also have a choice. If everyone reading this donated just US$20, it would pay for the care of over 150 bears at our China sanctuary for a full year. Please help us celebrate 20 years of progress. Donate US$20 today (or whatever you can afford).
Animals Asia strives to keep both administration and fundraising costs as low as possible to ensure that the donations we receive directly benefit our projects. Expenditure on our projects is carefully controlled and monitored to ensure that funds are being used effectively.
We operate two Moon Bear Rescue Centres – one in Chengdu, Sichuan Province, China, and one in Tam Dao National Park, Hanoi, Vietnam – which are the focal points for our largest project, End Bear Bile Farming.
Animals Asia has grown, over the past 13 years, from a small group of committed individuals in Hong Kong to a global organisation with more than 300 employees and annual income of over US$9 million.
2011 saw strong income growth with revenue increasing 19% to US$9.1 million.
Individual donations accounted for 75.2% of income. The remaining 24.8% came from corporations, foundations and schools.
Major donations accounted for the sharp rise in income in 2011.
United Kingdom and Australia contributed US$3.9 million (42.8% of total income).
Programme expenditure accounted for 70.5% of income.
Bear rescue and related work accounted for 78.6% of all programme spending (US$4.3 million). There were 259 bears at Animals Asia’s rescue centres in China and Vietnam at the end of 2011.
Note: The financial statements of the global offices of Animals Asia (including Head Office in Hong Kong) are subject to independent audit in each respective country. This is an unaudited summary of the latest financials of these offices.